Total Pageviews

Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 8, 18 hours

I had an hour to kill before work this morning and worked on getting the decking wired together tighter. It is a slow process. Other folks have said the plywood deck on the wood duck kayak was "easy for a change" I must not be going about it properly cuz' it aint exactly easy. Its hard to see the areas that still dont line up well in the pictures but here they are.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 6, 17 hours build time

I Spent 4.5 hours over the past couple days getting the decking wired together. Its rather frustrating getting the contour of the deck even around the form. Its also challenging to get the sheer pieces aligned with the top deck piece and wired in place. Hey, if it was easy everyone would build their own. I wonder if the optional "hybrid" strip deck might actually have been easier?I'm going to be taking the next 5 days off of the build due to work. Then I'll try to get the deck straightened out and temporarily fit to the hull.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 5, 12.5 hours build time

Today I spent 2.5 hours closing up the bow and transom sides. The bow went really easy. The ends were not perfectly the same length at the bow so tapped the ends with a mallet to line them up then simply twisted the wires to close the bow up. The mallet trick really works well even with the wires tight. I added twice the number of wire holes in the bow than the kit came with to help spread the stress and keep the wires from pulling through the holes.
The transom was a little more difficult, I beveled the edges which helps and also added double the wires/holes. I tacked some spots together with super glue to hold them as well.
The hull is basically in its complete shape at this point. Next up is to wire the decking together.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 4, 10 hours total

I never got around to working on the kayak over the weekend. We took our Glen-L Zip runaboat out for one last gasp then winterized and stored it in a insulated and heated hangar for winter, Sunday afternoon I flew r/c planes instead of work on the kayak.
Today I spent 3 hours beveling and loosely installing both sides by wiring the sides bottom edge to the bottom planks' outside edge. Some scrap wood is clamped to the formers to keep them from flexing, this is a nice tip that is included in the instructions. Tomorrow I hope I can get the ends closed up.